CLASS I & II
Re-Imaging & Re-Defining Primary Education
“If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If an egg is broken by an inside force, then life begins. Great things happen from the inside.”
In the lower primary classes the transformation and moulding of minds are an integral process that affects the child from “within”. This moulding of the human mind is taken care by the Eight Fold Multiple Intelligence that forms the crux of our education. Collaborative learning along with enquiry based methodology are used in the classrooms. Our watchwords are “Creativity and Innovation”, and we also believe that it is Howard Gardener’s “Synthesizing Mind” that is the need of the hour.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE SPEAKING SKILLS
Communication Skills are not inborn they are to be developed and we at DPS provide innumerable opportunities for young minds to hone their skills. Various activities and competitions are planned to improve their communications skills.
- Show and tell/Object talk – In this activity the children are asked to speak a few sentences about the objects they see around them.
- Just A Minute (JAM) – The topic is given to them on the spot without any prior intimation and children are encouraged to come up with their views.
- Skit-during special assemblies are performed which enhances their communication and performing skills.
- Story telling – In this activity the children weave a story of their own/from other sources and narrate it in their own words.
- Assembly proceedings – Every child gets an opportunity to participate in the assembly proceedings. Also, during special assemblies they are trained for group and individual activities which enhances their inter and intra personal skills.
- Collaborative Learning – The children are encouraged to work in collaboration with each other in group activities to help them develop their soft skills
- Table manners – The children are taught the basic etiquettes and table manners.
- Mime – This also helps the children to improve or work upon their emotive skills.
- Student Council – Being a member of the Student Council helps to develop the leadership qualities from an early age. Responsibilities to check the discipline during the assemblies and dispersal duties are given to the students.
- Class Monitors – To inspire the children to become effective leaders, class monitors are selected to monitor the overall discipline of the class (uniform, nails checking, etc..).
- In-Charge of a group – To develop team spirit many activities are conducted in the classroom forming various groups and a leader is appointed to help the activity to sail across smoothly in a disciplined manner.
- Saucha and Indriya nigraha – Cleanliness in action, word, and thought.
Children are taught to keep themselves, their rooms, their classrooms, their books and everything about them clean; also done as part of the project of Swachch Bharath .
- Punctuality and Discipline – The importance of being regular and on time to school along with completion of assignments is inculcated in the students.
- Golden Words– Students are continuously taught the importance of being kind, polite and speaking to their elders with respect along with using the 5 golden words (Sorry, Please, Thank you, May I, Excuse me)
This activity was conceptualized to help students realize the ever growing loss of green cover, and in helping to re-establish the lost green glory. A list of popular messages to conserve trees/plants were written on a paper and pasted on a huge tree trunk to highlight the importance of conservation of plants. A skit was also performed on the same theme to drive the message effectively. Saplings are being planted by children on their birthdays on a regular basis. At present we have taken up a massive tree plantation project called Greenathalon.
SAVE THE SPARROW PROJECT
“Save the sparrow” project was envisaged to make the children realize that some birds and animals are becoming extinct and we, in our own small way need to do something. Earthen pots were put up on the trees as shelters and feeders were placed to facilitate the arrival of sparrows. A separate pet corner was also created for rabbits and hens. It is a part of the environment project.
SATURDAY SOUL MATE
All sections of class II visit an orphanage on the last friday of every month to distribute old toys, books and eatables
CARE & SHARE ACTIVITY
This activity forms the basis of the value system of a child; the child needs to be taught to ‘reach out’ to other individuals. In this regard, special assemblies were conducted during December, where in the focus was to show the importance of ‘caring’ and ‘sharing’
INTERNATIONALISM IN OUR CURRICULUM
Delhi Public School Nacharam, has always taken initiative to incorporate and integrate activities that would enrich the students and nurture their growth into equipoised individuals. British Council ISA, is one such initiative, which saw a large community of students working together on various activities which were conducted to highlight the message of global oneness. ‘EAST OR WEST BREAKFAST IS THE BEST’ was a project taken up by class II children to emphasize the importance of the first meal of the day. During this project children learnt about the breakfast patterns of different nations.
We also had an interactive session with the Nutritionist Mrs. Ashrita. The weeklong celebration ended with a take home message- ‘Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy’.